Sunday, February 19, 2012

chiang mai (should) mean WONDERFUL.

Being a part of a program with no weekends is rough. Honestly, I've been struggling with the lack of independence and freedom we are given, and I'm still not sure how that will all pan out. But I know one thing- taking advantage of the personal days we were given last week was a decision I'll never forget.

With only two days off from classes, five new friends and I took an overnight bus last Thursday to Chiang Mai to experience what is arguably the second most popular and bustling city in Thailand. Overnight buses are LEGIT. Here's a quick iPhone snapshot of our bus: double decker, air-conditioned, free snacks and drinks, a movie, reclining seats, the works! Coral and I were able to snag the seats that were on the second level at the very front left, which meant I was sitting in what would be the driver's spot in my good ole Tribute back home in the States. But I got to sleep. Weeeeeeird feeling. Oh and I got to laugh with Coral into all hours of the night as we couldn't sleep and just shared our lives back home at Georgetown and TCU! While our bus driver drove what I'm pretty sure was at least 80 mph down a winding highway. Get it, bus driver.


That first morning in Chiang Mai, after rolling in around 8 am and realizing we were 12 hours from "home" and it was chillyyyyyy, everything got real. We were 6 girls who didn't know each other a month ago, now exploring freaking Thailand. Insane. Our little environmentally-friendly guest house was owned by the most precious Irishwoman who gave us all the low-down to make the most of our less than 48 hours on Chiang Mai soil. And did I mention said guest house is 6 bucks a night when you figure the exchange rate between the baht and the dollar? Heck yes.

We spent that first day exploring Doi Suthep, a temple 45 minutes up a mountain with a view of the entireeeee city and chock full of visitors from every country in the world. That might have been my favorite part of all. We met people from Poland, Switzerland, an island off the coast of Africa I had never even heard of. Crazy cool stuff. The rest of that day consisted of an awesome museum and stocking up on all the American food we don't have back in Khon Kaen. Think cheeseburgers, quesadillas, margaritas, bacon. Chiang Mai knows what's up.

Da grouppppppp!

Lest all this Western food make you forget I am still living in Thailand this semester, please observe Coral and I's experience at Starbuck's. Yes, I ordered my favorite coffee and yes, the baristas still wear green aprons and write on cups with Sharpies, but I'm pretty sure I've never seen a monk at the University Starbucks. Oh how I love the surprises around every corner here :)


Disclaimer: The following will most certainly not do this experience justice.

On Friday, February 17th, 2012, the following most EPIC of all epic days occurred in the life of Molly. I've never felt more refreshed and cleansed and connected to the earth, probably ever in my life.

-Most delicious pancake with banana baked in, enjoyed sitting in the garden of the eco-trekking guest house where we stayed in Chiang Mai.
-Hour and a half ride into the heart of Thailand, with the misty hills and rice paddies I've always imagined visiting (probably due to my overexposure to the Rodgers & Hammerstein classic "South Pacific" as a child....)
-Getting to be about a foot and a half from a baby elephant
-Riding a full-grown elephant up a hill and across a river
-Taking in a waterfall
-Walking through rice paddies and over rickety bamboo bridges
-Swimming in a freezing yet mind-blowingly refreshing river
-Eating rice wrapped in banana leaves with potatoes fresh from the ground
-Seeing a Karen hilltribe village
-Watching a puppy trudge through a rice paddy
-Bamboo rafting through the jungle RIGHT PAST two elephants bathing. I'll never forget that as long as I live.

All. In. One. Day.





This day made me beyond grateful for my experience here. Yes, it's been really, wait no incredibly, hard to be away from TCU. Yes, I did really question my decision to study abroad for a while. Yes, there have been tears shed and frustrations expressed. But I know God has me here for a reason, and I know that reason is even bigger than riding elephants or smiling for pictures. I know He has a bigger purpose behind every single step of the way for my life, and I couldn't be more grateful to be along for the adventure of a lifetime.

1 comment:

  1. Such a happy post! AHHHHHH I wish I was there with you!! I'm so jealousssss

    xoxoxo
    little face

    ReplyDelete