Friday, February 10, 2012

dee chai means happy.

Today. ROCKED. After a few weeks of dealing with the to-be-expected ups and downs of starting a study abroad program, I can truly say today was the best day yet. I know, I know, I'm an exaggerator and I've used the phrase "best day everrrrrrrr" more times than I can count, but I really mean this one.

Don chow (in the morning)- Brenna and I met up at 8:15, which obviously turned into 8:30 given my timeliness or lack there of, to go to the gym together. Yes TCU folk, I did say "gym". Every time I say "Rec" here, I'm met with endless teasing. Apparently that's not a thing in the North?! Crazy. Over an hour on the ellipticals, Brenna and I discussed our transition to Thailand, loved ones back home at Providence and TCU, and just generally dived into some deep life stuff. Heart to hearts never fail to make my day. From 10-12, we all had a review for the upcoming Thai midterm on Monday. Believe it or not, we are THIRTY hours in with our Thai language learning with only 30 to go. Our class kept cracking up as we struggled to ask each other questions in Thai and our Ajaan (teacher) surprised us with Dunkin' Donuts halfway through class!

Don bai (in the afternoon)- Fay and I went to the vegetarian restaurant down the street and I FINALLY got to hear the incredible story of her life. With two parents working for the UN, I'm pretty sure she has the most internationally diverse background of anyone I've ever met. We had an incredible time and again, this heart to heart pumped even more happiness into the day! An Ajaan from Khon Kaen University spoke to us all afternoon about Isaan (Northeast Thailand), Buddhism, and Thai culture. Over a 2 hour 15 minute lecture, I didn't zone out once. Put that one in the baby book, folks. That never happens for me. She was incredibly sweet and I really learned a lot about the cultural landscape I'm living in this semester. After class, Alex, Brenna, and I went and got Thai hour long massages for the equivalent of $6. Followed by the most delicious dumplings in the world for the equivalent of 15 cents. I'm currently in the post-massage, post delicious food, stress-free zone and lovin' it.

Don yen (in the evening)- In 20 minutes, we have our second meeting with our peer tutors. My peer tutor Yui, pronounced U-E, is fluent in Japanese, Spanish, English, and obviously Thai. Um, what?!?! I'm lame. To the max. She's awesome and the environment of laughter and smiles and language struggles that ensues when all the peer tutors arrive is just great. Afterwards, I'm pretty sure we'll all head to the night market. Each night from 6 to 11 an entire market sets up shop on campus! Over the past two nights, I've purchased a dress (no surprise), high-waisted jorts (a staple of Thailand), and absolutely perfect sushi and strawberries. I think a couple friends and I are going to try and have a Bible study afterwards tonight as well. I couldn't be more grateful.



As some of you know, I had reallyyy been struggling with being away, and while I still literally think about TCU allllll the timeeeeee, I'm really grateful that this is starting to feel normal and comfortable. Just to prove I do indeed have the ability to be a student of 2 universities at once, here's a pic of my new KKU ID, juxtaposed of course with my TCU one. Oh btdubs, the background shows the CIEE office where we essentially eat, sleep, and breathe. Skype me and I'm sure you'll get to see it! Working on getting the walls painted. Much needed. Anyway, as the always wonderful Laura H would say, gotta go live the Thai life!

Buckets of love from halfway across the globe, Mol :)

1 comment:

  1. BEAMING over here. So thrilled to hear the transition is going better. I am thinking of you and sending you loads of happy energy!

    Let's skype again soon so I can hear how wonderful you are doing ;)

    ReplyDelete